The bi-annual Symposia of the IFSA Europe Group
The main activity of the IFSA Europe Group is the organisation of the biannual European Symposium. These symposia are a platform for dialogue between scientists and practitioners from a wide range of theoretical background and methodological focus. Although predominantly focusing on European farming systems, non-European participation is encouraged as this adds contrasts and comparisons of mutual benefit and helps to ensure scientific rigour and quality.
So far, following Euroean IFSA Symposia have been organised in the following places and dates (see 'Proceedings' in the menu on the left, for more details):
- 11th European IFSA Symposium: "Farming systems facing global challenges: Capacities and strategies" held in Berlin (Germany) on 1-4 April 2014 (Website)
- 10th European IFSA Symposium: "Producing and reproducing farming systems. New modes of organisation for sustainable food systems of tomorrow" held in Aarhus (Denmark) on 1-4 July 2012. (Website)
- 9th European IFSA Symposium: "Building sustainable rural futures: The added value of systems approaches in times of change and uncertainty" held in Vienna (Austria) on 4-7 July 2010
- 8th European IFSA Symposium: "Empowerment of the rural actors: A renewal of Farming Systems perspectives" held in Clermont Ferrand (France) on 6-10 July 2008 (Website)
- 7th European IFSA Symposium: "New visions for rural areas. Changing European farming systems for a better future" held in Wageningen (Netherlands) on 7-11 May 2006.
- 6th European IFSA Symposium: "European Farming and Society in search of a new social contract - Learning to manage change" held in Vila Real (Portugal) on 4-7 April 2004 (Website)
- 5th European IFSA Symposium: "Local Identities and Globalisation" held in Florence (Italy) on 8-11 April 2002 (Website)
- 4th European IFSA Symposium: "European farming and rural systems research and extension into the next millenium: Environmental, agricultural and socio-economic issues" held in Volos (Greece) on 2-7 April 2000.
- 3rd European IFSA Symposium: "Rural and Farming Systems Analyses - Environmental Perspectives" held in Hohenheim (Germany) on 25-27 March 1998.
- 2nd European IFSA Symposium: "Technical and Social Systems Approaches for Sustainable Rural Development" held in Granada (Spain) in 1996.
- 1st European IFSA Symposium: "European perspectives of Farming Systems" held in Edinburg (UK) in 1994.